Alex Pan is the co-founder of Storipress, an all in one content management system that integrates all the tools a publisher needs in a single platform.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
Hey Hao! I’m currently the co-founder of Storipress. Storipress empowers brands and creators to build their own media companies by making content creation more efficient.
I got into media after starting a student publication at University whilst working at IBM iX as a Digital Strategy and User Experience Consultant. It was the combination of these two experiences that I realised that publishing tools were really hard to use, and I could use what I had learnt to improve it.
2) What does a day in your life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
I wake up at 8:30 and look at my Jira board for the day and organise it. I then run through my team’s daily standup at 11am who are mostly based in Taiwan and have a 2 hour time difference (their 9AM is my 11AM), after which I answer any questions my team has.
The rest of my day is usually meetings with others, or if I’m lucky enough to have no meetings in the day, responding to emails and / or designing new parts of the app!
3) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
Work life balance means having quality time with the friends I made at University. As all my friends are also time-poor corporates, we always find a time around every two weeks or so to grab lunch together.
4) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
I’ve started using Superhuman, the email client. It’s great! I also need to get back to going to the gym regularly, but that’s another story.
5) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
A Media Operator is an excellent newsletter on current media industry trends. The Prince is also a great classic book to learn about effective leadership.
6) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
Probably a world leader of a superpower, let’s say the interview of any ex-American President.
7) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
Loving the grind is part of balancing the grind!
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here