Brett Chang is the co-founder & CEO of The Peak, a daily email newsletter providing the latest Canadian and global business news.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
I’m currently the Co-Founder and CEO of The Peak, a daily newsletter covering the latest Canadian and global business news in a fun and informative daily email. Prior to The Peak, I was a partner at Leaf Forward, a Canadian VC fund focused on early-stage cannabis companies, and a Sr. Policy Associate on Uber’s Canada team.
2) What does a day in the life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
My day’s are split between business operations and content creation. Our best growth channel is compelling content that’s easily shareable so I’ve been spending a lot of time working with our team on production. The other half of my day is sales, invoicing, accounting, etc — normal day-to-day business maintenance.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
Absolutely but due to COVID-19 and Canada’s travel restrictions I’ve opted to stay in Toronto. I look forward to working remotely more frequently in the future.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
For me, work life balance is prioritizing my personal relationships. In practice, this is making time for the most important people in my life.
5) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
The most important habit I’ve started in the past 12 months is meditation. It’s helped me develop a better relationship with my thoughts and reduced stress.
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
The Peak, of course. I also really enjoy The Wire and Money Stuff by Matt Levine.
7) Are there any products, gadgets or apps that you can’t live without?
I love my iPad Pro. Every morning, I wake up and read through 10-15 newsletters on my iPad and it’s a great start to my day.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
Yvonne Chouinard, founder of Patagonia.
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here.
Join our community and never miss a conversation about work, life & balance – subscribe to our newsletter.