Cassidy Williams is a Principal Developer Experience Engineer at Netlify, she also runs a weekly newsletter talking about what’s new and cool in the world of web development.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
I’m a Principal Developer Experience Engineer at Netlify! I work primarily with React (and have for quite a few years now) and love helping people learn how to build things.
2) What does a day in the life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
I’ve worked at remote companies for a little while now, and the story is pretty much the same for big and small teams.
I typically start my day with some breakfast, go to my office to work (I don’t often have a ton of meetings, but maybe 1-3 a day), spend non-meeting time coding, writing blog posts, making videos, or doing code/content reviews, stop work, then spend my evenings playing video games, watching movies, playing music, or drinking boba tea with friends.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
I kind of answered it previously, but yes! I love working remotely. The flexibility of choosing how I use my time at home and not having to commute is great.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
It means that I can separate myself from work, without having to stress about it too much after hours. My hobbies are important to me, and if my job allows me to have time for them, I’m happy!
5) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
Well, I’ve stopped quite a few things because of the pandemic! I’d say the biggest thing though is that I’ve stopped thinking about “moving up the corporate ladder” and just have worked to be content and doing the best I can in my given role. That was a lesson that took me a while to learn, and it’s made me enjoy my work a whole lot more.
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
I run my own newsletter at cassidoo.co/newsletter, if you’d like to check it out! I also love the book, Build Your Dream Network by J Kelly Hoey!
7) Are there any products, gadgets or apps that you can’t live without?
I doubt there’s anything I can’t live without hahaha, but I do love using Dabble.me! It’s a service for journaling and it’s my favorite app I use.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
I’m not sure! Maybe Angie Jones, she seems to do a ton!
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
Strive for it. It’s worth it!
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here.
Join our community and never miss a conversation about work, life & balance – subscribe to our newsletter.