1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
My career has been quite varied – from advertising agency’s to owning food retail outlets and then working in the insolvency industry. I have always been entrepreneurial, and everything changed when I developed Australian Debt Solvers.
My current role as COO is akin to a game of chess – moving various pieces to get to the goal, and trying to think at least 3 moves ahead.
2) What does a day in the life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
Well right now – everyday looks like a day working from home. Phone calls, Zoom meetings, lots of emails (did I mention the emails). As an owner of Mackay Goodwin – my thinking about the business doesn’t really stop – in fact some of my best ideas come to me when I am on my bike.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
Yes. And I have to say I am now quite enjoying it. It works well with my routine – and now my children are back at school – it works really well!
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
In my view, it is all about discipline. I exercise every day – and if I didn’t do that, I think I would struggle mentally. I just ensure that exercise is part of my daily routine.
5) What do you think are some of the best habits or routines that you’ve developed over the years to help you achieve success in your life?
No emails in my inbox at the end of each day!
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
I love biographies of business people. Just about to start reading the story of Bob Iger at Disney.
7) What is the number one thing you do to make sure you get the most out of your day?
Ensure that I am getting my team onto things early – so we can be proactive rather than reactive.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
Me (of course).
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here.
Join our community and never miss a conversation about work, life & balance – subscribe to our newsletter.