Josh Howard is the Founder & CEO of viral sustainable hand soap brand Single Use Ain’t Sexy. His business has saved tens of thousands of single-use plastic bottles from landfill, by replacing them with Australia’s first dissolvable hand soap tablets and reusable glass soap bottles.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
I am the Founder & CEO of Aussie sustainable hand soap brand Single Use Ain’t Sexy. We created Australia’s first ever dissolvable hand soap tablets and reusable bottles, which have saved tens of thousands of single-use plastic soap bottles from landfill. Before this, I worked in advertising, TV & got admitted to be a lawyer, but never practised.
2) What does a day in your life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
Every day is completely different which I absolutely love! I start with a workout, then bundle my time to focus on different sets of tasks to decrease getting distracted by jumping between things. These include things like pitching for new business, partner meetings, advisor catch ups, strategizing our growth & internal meetings.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
Yep absolutely, which is partly why I’m doing it! I never want to go to the same office every day at 9am, nothing would make me more bored. I incorporate routine into my day via exercise, then structure work commitments around meetings or key things I need to get done.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
I don’t really know what that means tbh. As an entrepreneur, my work is my life and vice versa, so I kinda just work hard and live my life and try to do it all without overthinking it. I don’t think these lines can’t be blurred if you are passionate and obsessive about creating and running your own business, especially in the early stages.
5) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
Over the last year, running Single Use Ain’t Sexy has intensified and the demands on my time have become relentless, so I’ve gotten into a pretty disciplined workout routine in the gym 5-6 mornings per week.
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
My favourite podcasts are Sway by Kara Swisher & The Daily by The New York Times. I love the Dreampops Founder’s weekly newsletter, which lands in my inbox every Sunday night. I also love reading about US politics on my kindle.
7) Are there any products, gadgets or apps that you can’t live without?
I’d happily live without them all haha, but the ones I use on a daily basis are all the usual suspects including Whatsapp, Google Suite, Outlook, Chrome, Adobe Express, Xero, WeChat, Klaviyo, Instagram, Linkedin, Zoom & of course Shopify.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
Just go out there and do something you love!
Before you go…
Check out more daily routines from Barack Obama, Arianna Huffington, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Michelle Obama, Sheryl Sandberg, Richard Branson, Warren Buffet and plenty others.