Manuela Seve is co-founder and CEO of Alpha’a & alphaa.io through which she is connecting the physical and digital art worlds via: blockchain certification, licensing and dropshipping.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
I started my career in finance but was raised surrounded by artwork. In 2015 I started to think of blockchain as a tool to change the way we thought of asset ownership, and started developing the initial protocol for what is now alphaa.io in 2017 with an incredible team of developers based out of Brazil. The rest as they say is history.
2) What does a day in your life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
My days are off to an early start. Our team is in South America and the East Coast, so I’m the last one up in LA. We have meetings starting at 7am and I’m basically on the phone till 2pm, then I take a mental health break, exercise, have lunch etc and do creative stuff in the afternoons and evenings.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
Yes, we are all remote in the alphaa.io family, and not having to commute makes it possible to start my days at 7am.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
Firstly the cliche phrase “Do what you love and you won’t have to work a day in your life” is really true, I work 7 days a week and in all sorts of hours, but I love what I do and am supported by an amazing team that makes it truly inspiring, dynamic and truly never boring.
But we all have our off days and it’s important to respect those times, go out and exercise, spend time in nature or even turn on the tv and fully relax and recharge.
5) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
I’ve been on the endurance sport train for a long time, (three Ironmans under my belt and the NYC marathon) but every time I go into training and work mode (raising a Series A) I stop drinking completely, have been drinkless since September 2021 and have never felt clearer.
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
I’m very spiritual but there are certain books that transcend religion: The Four Agreements, The Power of Now and The Book of Joy really come to mind.
7) Are there any products, gadgets or apps that you can’t live without?
Strava. If you do endurance sports you know this app. SoundCloud is a necessity for finding unique music.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
Productivity and time spent working mean different things for different people and companies. Find companies to work for that share your values and you won’t have to worry about work-life balance.
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here.
Join our community and never miss a conversation about work, life & balance – subscribe to our newsletter.